This battery is clearly not meant to be repaced by the consumer, but with for those with some confidence in their technical skills it is certainly do-able. I agree with the previous reviewer's comments about a few of issues:
1. Definitely use a small, but not tiny, phillips head screwdriver to remove the single screw that holds the pcb board in place to avoid stripping it.
2. The original battery is kept in place with double-sided tape. This was not mentioned in the accompanying video. Although the kit had nothing to secure the battery, I didn't bother (it fits in pretty snug anyway). The wire has to be tucked in carefully or the case won't close.
3. It is true, simply opening the case too widely (or from the wrong edge) results in disconnection of two ribbon cables, and it's quite difficult to figure out how to re-attache them and requires a good light and a lot of dexterity (hint: The cables have to slide into little slots and they are locked...
I bought this (Amazon Prime) battery for my Nuvi 350 but there is a similar item, more expensive and with no Prime option.
Installation is tricky and requires several tools: A Torx driver (size T-5), a Phillips head screw driver (Size 000), and a plastic mobile phone opening tool. Also helpful is a magnifying glass and good lighting.
An installation video by NewPower99DotCom is helpful, but leaves out several tricky details. After finishing the installation and while writing this review, I found an excellent set of photos: Google "Dismantling nuvi 3xx" to find it.
Removing the antenna gave me the most trouble. The instructions say to "Insert a sharp object into the spring cover and press inwards ...". But where is the spring cover? The "Dismantling nuvi" page shows the spot and would have saved me a lot of time. I used a 2mm flat head screwdriver, but any pointed metal object should do the job.
I successfully replaced my Garmin Nuvi 350 battery using this product, though I have several comments:
1. The 2 screws that hold the case together were hard to remove after unscrewing. I used small pliers to pull them out.
2. The supplied screwdriver was too small to remove the single screw that holds the pcb board in place - the screw was very hard to turn at first - I could have stripped the head with the supplied screwdriver. I used my own larger Phillips-head screwdriver.
3. The original battery is kept in place with double-sided tape. The kit had nothing to secure the battery. I supplied my own.
4. In spite of following the supplied video as carefully as possible, I still managed to pull two small/thin/flimsy ribbon cables out of their connectors. I looked on-line how to put them back in place. The video probably should warn about how easy they come out and show how to put them back if they get disconnected.
The authorised South African distributor of this product is under no obligation to honour the manufacture's guarantees/warranties or to provide after-sales service.
Please note that this item is imported from the USA, and is designed to be used in the USA. In addition, if the unit is powered it will come with a US plug and an adapter/transformer may be required. Please click here for more information on power requirements, or check with us if you are unsure or need any assistance!
Please also note that certain items cannot be imported, these include Alcohol, Animals, Batteries, Flammable Materials, Currency, Food, Furs, Chemicals, Explosives, Medications, Plants, Seeds, Supplements, Pressurized Cans, Tactical Equipment, Vitamins, Weaponry and Weaponry Accessories. In these cases, the item and information is displayed for reference purposes only. If you are not sure if we are permitted to bring an item, please send us an e-mail with a link to the item to confirm.
Please also ensure that you are ordering the correct item for your particular application as returns to the USA are costly. Product reviews are also provided for most of our items, which can give you a good idea for possible things to look out for and the quality of the item. By clicking Add to Cart, you are confirming that the item is correct and you accept the conditions listed here.