This book reveals more secrets about the history of Japanese games than ever before, with 36 interviewees and exclusive archive photos. Konami's secret games console, the origin of Game Arts and Quintet, unusual events at Telenet, stories on Falcom, politics behind Enix's game programming contests, a tour of the Love-de-Lic and WARP offices (with layout sketches). Every interviewee is asked about unreleased titles. Foreword by GAMESIDE magazine's editor-in-chief, Yusaku Yamamoto. INTERVIEWEES INCLUDE: Hitoshi YONEDA / Tatsuo NOMURA / Katsutoshi EGUCHI / Toru HIDAKA / Roy OZAKI / Kouichi YOTSUI / Masaaki KUKINO / Yoshitaka Murayama / Harry Inaba / Ryukushi07 / Kotaro UCHIKOSHI / ZUN / Yoshiro KIMURA / Kouji YOKOTA / Jun Nagashima / Yuzo KOSHIRO / Masamoto MORITA / Akira TAKIGUCHI / Masakuni MITSUHASHI / Kohei IKEDA / Hiroshi SUZUKI / Tomonori SUGIYAMA / Yutaka ISOKAWA / Yasuhito SAITO / Takaki KOBAYASHI / Keite ABE / Keiji INAFUNE / Makoto GOTO
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I’m hardcore into Japanese video games, including retro video games. Or at least I thought I was until I started reading this book. I must admit defeat for Japanese video game fandom, John Szczepaniak, the author of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 1, is much more of a geemu otaku than me (...*hangs head in shame*). Full disclosure: I did NOT contribute to the Kickstarter campaign...I didn’t really know about it.
So for the most part, I have great respect for what this book accomplishes. It was an important contribution to the world of video game studies for these untold stories of Japanese game developers to finally be told. There is valuable information here for hardcore fans and scholars of Japanese video games alike.
However, I believe you have to cherry pick the information you’re looking for. The book is almost entirely interviews with only a little commentary, explanation, or analysis. If you don’t know what a...
For pretty much my entire life, I've been incredibly fascinated with culture surrounding video games in the 80's and 90's! The whole idea gives me nostalgia for an experience so unique, it still makes me giddy!
When this book popped up on my recommended list, I got incredibly excited; a book perfect for me! I bought on my kindle right away, and I was not disappointed!
The book is a wonderful wealth of information, for every niche topic when it comes to the history of Japanese games! It covers nearly everything! It even covered my favorite early game series, Touhou! If you wanna find out about it, it's probably in here in the form of an interview! It's even better to hear it from first person sources!
That being said, I gave it 4 stars as this book could use a little bit more editing! While 90% of this book is amazing information, the other 10% took away from the overall attitude of the book! There was one part where an interviewee talked about car...
The authorised South African distributor of this product is under no obligation to honour the manufacture's guarantees/warranties or to provide after-sales service.
Please note that this item is imported from the USA, and is designed to be used in the USA. In addition, if the unit is powered it will come with a US plug and an adapter/transformer may be required. Please click here for more information on power requirements, or check with us if you are unsure or need any assistance!
Please also note that certain items cannot be imported, these include Alcohol, Animals, Batteries, Flammable Materials, Currency, Food, Furs, Chemicals, Explosives, Medications, Plants, Seeds, Supplements, Pressurized Cans, Tactical Equipment, Vitamins, Weaponry and Weaponry Accessories. In these cases, the item and information is displayed for reference purposes only. If you are not sure if we are permitted to bring an item, please send us an e-mail with a link to the item to confirm.
Please also ensure that you are ordering the correct item for your particular application as returns to the USA are costly. Product reviews are also provided for most of our items, which can give you a good idea for possible things to look out for and the quality of the item. By clicking Add to Cart, you are confirming that the item is correct and you accept the conditions listed here.