LiveZilla Live Chat Software
Register/Login Login Contact UsContacts BlogBlog
Cart Items : 0 | Cart Total : R0
All electrical appliances ordered from us are sourced from the USA, and as such are designed for use in the USA (unless specifically stated) and will usually have a 2pin American style socket. While most items are rated as being 110-240v compatible, it is extremely important to verify that you are using the correct adapter or transformer for your particular electrical item.

What do I need for my item to work in South Africa?

Depending on the item, either an adapter or a transformer. If the item lists as being 110-240v, you would only need an adapter.
If the item only shows 110-120v, you would need a transformer as South Africa uses 220v as our electricity supply.

What is the difference between an adapter and a transformer?

An adapter is used to convert the shape of a USA plug into a South African shaped plug, and does not convert the power in any way. A transformer is needed for items which are rated to only support 110-120v systems. In these cases a transformer will convert our 220v (RSA) electrical supply down to 110v (USA) so the item can work in our country.

How do I know which transformer to purchase?

You need to know the wattage of your device in order to determine the appropriate voltage converter to purchase so look on the indications label of the device for the W (Watt) to get this information. Then, be sure to buy a converter with a wattage rating that is higher than the device you plan to operate in order to safely convert.

For example, if your device or appliance is 600W, get a converter or transformer that is 1000W.

When in doubt, buy a converter with a much higher wattage. No harm is done with too many watts, but your device will not work if there's not enough.

For items that need a big surge of power when it's initially switched on (TVs, power tools, laser printers), get a converter with a wattage rate that is THREE times greater than that of your device. So, a 500W tool requires a 1500W converter in order to safely and successfully convert.

Different devices have different needs. For example: A small, non-heating electric shaver should be fine with a 100W voltage converter. However, for bigger items requiring heat, like an iron, curling iron, or hair dryer, you will need a more powerful converter.

Can't find find the wattage on your device? Don't worry; it isn't always listed. Instead, some power labels provide amps, which can be used to find out your wattage using simple multiplication. So first, find the voltage (V). Then, find the amps (A). Now, multiply those to get the watts. V x A = W. Example 110V x 5A =550W

If you are not sure which transformer to purchase, please contact us to confirm.